Matthew Ramsay Bio
Dedicated to facilitating personal growth and development experiences for over 20 years
I personally know the possibility and promise of living with an open heart: open to the flow of life-energy that leads to deeper connection with ourselves, our soul, spirit, other people, and the more-than-human community of nature that sustains us every breath of the way.
READ MORE ABOUT MY PERSONAL JOURNEY...
From the start, these things have remained constant for me: a reverence and deep curiosity about nature, consciousness, spirit, and how to contribute to a more socially- and ecologically just world.
The experiences and education that follow reflect how my soul has led me to this calling, sometimes sweetly, sublimely, and at other times through truly-wrenching passages. As a result, I offer you a courageous-yet humble-heart, and compassionate companionship for the journey:
I am a registered therapeutic counsellor (RTC) with the Association of Cooperative Counselling Therapists of Canada (ACCT), having completed my three-year training in transpersonal counselling psychology at the Clearmind International Institute in Vancouver, BC.
I weave together a unique combination of training and life-experience into my practice of counselling psychology:
- Over 20 years of Soto Zen Buddhist meditation practice and study, including five years immersed in traditional monastic training, and receiving lay ordination, which includes formally taking refuge in the three treasures, the lineage, and vowing to practice and sustain the 16 Bodhisattva precepts
- Certified NVC Trainer with the Center for Nonviolent Communication with >10 years of leadership training and integration
- Systemic Constellations Facilitator; having completed Family, Organizational & Natural Systems Facilitator Training with Francesca Mason Boring of All My Relations Constellations
- Intensive training with Gordon Neufeld and faculty of the Neufeld Institute on attachment-based developmental theory and approach to child/youth development and parenting
- Clearmind International Institute Men’s Support Group-Therapy facilitator
- Former Outward Bound Instructor; facilitating wilderness based rites-of-passage, personal growth, leadership and team-building experiential programs, and adventure based counselling using William Glasser’s Choice Theory and Reality Therapy
- Wilderness-based rites of passage facilitator; apprenticed to Roshi Joan Halifax at Upaya Zen Center
- Ordained minister and life celebrant
- Master’s degree in restoration ecology with >16 years professional experience as an ecologist having worked in all sectors: federal government, non-profit, and private consulting
- More than 20 years living in intentional communities practicing consensus decision making and sustainable community development
- Devoted parent and husband
Nonviolent Communication workshops & trainings for individuals and groups
Systemic Constellations workshops & private sessions for individuals and groups